This is a dialogue writing exercise for 2 people. It is similar to an improv skit but without the pressure of actually improvising and with a multiple choice structure.
– Connect on an instant messaging app (Facebook, skype etc) with your partner.
– Copy paste the scenario on the chat log and decide who’s going to write for the two characters.
– The first character starts with a line of dialogue
– The second character offers TWO possible lines presented as multiple choices (the lines should be substantially different, see our discussions regarding agency in twine games)
– The first character picks one of the two proposed lines, and continues the story/dialogue by also providing TWO possible lines
– Repeat the process: pick a line by the other character, write two possible continuations, wait for your partner to do the same, until the story reaches some kind of resolution.
The story should develop primarily as a dialogue but you can add actions and gestures too (*exits the door*).
Violent actions (killing etc) and scenario changes (the spaceship is hit by a meteor) are not allowed.