Watch Raph Koster’s talk Social Mechanics for Social Games.
- Individually: Find 10 examples of these social mechanics in existing games (no more than one example for each mechanic).
- Post a one-sentence explanation and a screenshot (if useful) for each of them.
- Get back to your team and discuss if any of the mechanics can be meaningfully integrated in your game. It’s just as a thought experiment, no pressure to actually do it.
- In teams: List the core multiplayer mechanics in your game.
- Individually: for each of them, find a couple of examples of existing games that employ similar mechanics. Find videos that exemplify them.
- In teams: discuss your findings and determine the game/mechanic that is the most relevant for your project, or the one worth researching. Play the game together as a team. Also, try to play “subversively”, attempting to break or spoil the game.