A dream-like game using optical illusions and out of body experience as the main mechanic. Players is trapped in the 3 dimensional maze, and has to find the way out. As showing in the following picture, player can change the maze structure by change perspective and find the way to pass.
Showed in the next picture, player saw someone when he passed a room, and when he passing the other room at a different place, the exact same scene happens again, but the difference is that the player becomes the one inside the room and see himself passing by, so it can be a clue that implies the environment is the same with the one before.
An abstract game in which players use their body gesture to control the main character, and interact with the game world. For example, using hand to put the main character on the tree, or use the hand shaking to create wind and blow the main character(a balloon) to fly away from somewhere.
An abstract game which will be played using voice input to create elements and have interactions with the game world to make meaningful interactions.
What is the meaningful interaction? Still figuring out…
A playground game for people of different disciplines to communicate and play cooperatively
Designer: Shine Li
A game lets players from different disciplines encounter and work cooperatively. Core elements aiming for are excitement, surprise, highly engagement, competition and cooperation.
Idea comes from:
“I imagined a place where walking and getting lost in conversation could become an active rather than a passive pleasure; a place to meet friends and colleagues, or encounter strangers from other disciplines…a literal marketplace of ideas.”
The Kraus Campo, Carnegie Mellon University
- Dozens of paper with letters which comes from the quotation on the wall
- Several colored bands
- Several colored paper board, the color matches the ones on the bands
Number of players:
Two or four teams of 2 or 3 players each, but the amount of players should be equal for each team.
Less than 20 minutes.
Gameplay and Rules:
- Each team should have at least 2 people participating. One stands on the status and focus on the arithmetical problem, while the other contributes physically.
- The one stands on the statue should finish 3 “24 Game” to achieve the goal. He/ she should manipulate the 4 integers he stands on with any operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) to get the end result as 24. After finished one game, he/ she should move to another area which has different numbers with the previous squares. It is permitted to move to a different spot if the player feels the numbers around him is too hard to solve, but the integers he/she uses should be different each time.
- The physical one should collect the paper with letters that has distributed randomly on the orange road in the garden. The time limit based on the speed of the opposite team solving 24 Game. He/ she should stop collecting at the time the opposite team finish the 3 24 Game.
- After the game stops, both teams should use the letters they collected to form words which shows on the wall. The more words one can form, the higher score he gets, but one letter can be used only once.
- The math ones will be handed out the colored paper board, which has the color of their opposite team. After they finished solving the 24 Games, they should raise up the boards, and the ones with band of the same color should stop collecting immediately.
- If there will be more than 2 teams participating, they will be divided as groups of 2 teams, and teams compete with the one in their group. They will get certain colors to distinguish with others.
- If there will be 3 people involved in each team, the extra one should inspect the other team to make sure the 24 Game has been played properly.
PDF: The Kraus Campo Game
This is a modified pong game, which 10 balls destroy the squares by touching them from different direction. When the balls touch the squares, they change color, and reflect back. The way i am going for is to make this game neat and beautiful, game the players a feeling of relax while they playing it.
I attended the discussion and several social games like ninja training, zombie ward, which are really fun.
The discussion is a group activity in which people has been divided into different teams and talk about ideas to make Pittsburgh a better place and more fun. We had a conclusion that waiting for the buses can be less boring through playing games, so we head to this direction and developed the idea further more. I came up with the idea that it should be group activity like the digital game Curiosity. It should be cooperative and bring people more chances to communicate. Then we keep digging on this idea, and came up with the bus waiting game as showed in the following picture.
The rules would be:
1. People waiting for the bus make the heat bar go higher by touching the heat-sensitive bus signpost. The more people get involved, the bar should go higher to trigger an event.
2. The heat bar has three phases, after reaches the second one, there gives “bee bee bee” sound and the camera will take a 360 degree picture. So people touches the signpost will all be included into the picture.
3. There will be a bigger digital screen aside on the wall records pictures has been taken. After reaching certain amount, the previous ones may be ripped to give space for new ones. People can check if their photos still there at the bus stop or not. If not, they would more likely to take pictures again.
4. After the bar line reaches the third phase, the slot machine works, and will rain coupons or bucks ($1) randomly, and the companies which the coupons belongs to, should be the main sponsors for the construction of the bus waiting game system.
Ninja training should be my favorite, since I played before in the global game jam when it had 7 controllers ran in a wider space. But this time, due to some technical issues and the space limitation, they just provided 4 controllers and ran in a pretty small area. These limitations did affect the user experience in certain degree. Other than this, it is still an interesting game which attracted lots of people participated.
People getting crazy in Ninja training…
Zombie ward is a tag game with special items. We played in a group of more than 20 people. It is not that special, since we have played lots of tag games when we were young, but it was really fun to play with a bunch of grown-up strangers. Also with the items, and the randomness of the places and the orders we have to command, the fun increases.
Trying to find a place to play zombie ward.
Other games i played:
This game is about figuring out the unknown words on your cards by using the hints shows on other people’s cards. Then follow the command showed on cards. This game really need people to communicate, which brings lots of fun.
This game is about getting bricks of your own color without getting caught by the light. It is a cooperative game, and two people should work together to make the time as short as possible. I like this game, but i wish this could be played on table instead of the ground. That way might be more comfortable to play, so we can more concentrate on the game.
Things I got:
1) Two friends, each of whom has a broken leg and comes from totally different background
2) Great ideas about making the city a better place, and i am happy that i can participate in such activities to contribute something
3) Communication with strangers is not that hard, and playing games like a child is pretty enjoyable
4) A free T-shirt which is pretty ugly…